I never would have thought of using avocado as a pizza base had it not been for the genius of my boyfriend. When he suggested that we make a pizza with a naan bread (fine, totally normal) and top it with avocado, red onions, peppers and salmon the idea interested me but also concerned me. We all know that avocado isn’t the most stable ingredient to cook with and spreading it over warm toast it very different to putting it in the oven for 15 minutes.
However, my boyfriend does know his food (he used to be a cook) and he assured me that it would be good. I agreed to his rather unusual idea on the grounds that we would substitute chicken for the salmon (there is something about the combination of chicken and avocado) and we would pickle the onions so they would be picked pink onions.
It turned out to be really good. So good that I wanted to eat another one and that I decided to share the recipe here.
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 2 Shop bought naan bread – we used garlic
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 clove of garlic crushed or finely sliced – use a whole clove if you like garlic and you haven’t got anywhere to be afterwards!
- a squirt of lime juice
- pinch of salt
The toppings are optional, depending on what you like, but here’s what we used (and I would recommend):
- 2 small cooked chicken breasts (or 4 mini-fillets)
- half a green pepper
- picked pink onions (we made them ourselves)
- 2 handfuls of cheese
- 2 pinches of paprika
- Make the ‘sauce’ by mashing the avocado and mixing it with the garlic, lime juice and salt. Spread on to the naan bread.
- Add the pizza toppings to the naan bread, add the cheese and the paprika last if using.
- Bake in the oven at 400 °F 200 °C for 10-15 minutes
So that’s it! Really easy and if you pre-cook the chicken (or buy it ready cooked) then it’s ready in about 20 minutes. If you make the avocado base in advance then you’re just looking at assembly and baking – who needs food prep when it can be so easy to make dinner!