I’ve made this breakfast a couple of times on the weekend recently when I have a bit more time to make a leisurely breakfast. However, you could make this on a weekday morning and cook it while you’re getting yourself ready. This recipe makes two portions, but it’s good to box up and save the other half for the next day – which makes it the ideal portable breakfast. It can be eaten hot or cold, but I prefer hot with a big dollop of Greek yogurt.
If you find that you’re often rushing in the mornings, you could double up the mixture and cook it for a bit longer to make sure that you have a filling, healthy breakfast for you to eat during the week.
- 1/2 Cup of oats
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 banana
- fruit – I’m using up homemade mincemeat that I made at Christmas time but blueberries or raspberries and coconut would be nice
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 2/3 cup of milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Slice the banana in half lengthways and mash the other half of the banana
- Beat the egg and add the milk
- Add the oats, banana, baking powder and fruit to the egg and milk mixture
- Stir well
- Place the other half of the banana on to the top of the mixture and drizzle it with honey (you can leave this out if you like or use maple syrup instead)
- Add to an ovenproof dish and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown
Enjoy with yogurt and extra toppings if you wish!